Contact me

Do comment in the comment section on how useful were the removal methods.

This will encourage me to post more removal methods.

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Remove Vista Antivirus 2008

Vista Antivirus is a new rogue antivirus which tries to rob your money. Besides that it slows down your pc and with unwanted popups, it makes your working on the computer impossible. The following is a screenshot of Vista Antivirus 2008 and its warning

Also if you downloaded it from its website, here is the screenshot of the website
Though it may be very harmful, it is very easy to clean. Just follow these easy steps accompanied by pictures to clean your pc from this false vista antivirus.

1. First of all open task manager(Ctrl+Alt+Del) and go to process tab. Now search the process vav.exe. Kill process vav.exe by right clicking on it and selecting end process.

2. Now go to C:\windows\system32 folder(assuming that you have windows in your C drive).
Locate and delete file vav.cpl

3. Now go to C:\program files
Locate a folder named vav. It will be having four files(vav0.dat, vav1.dat, vav.cpl, vav.exe) in most cases. Delete the entire folder

4. Vista Antivirus 2008 also makes a shortcut on your desktop. Delete that also

5. Empty recycle bin

Now we will be doing some registry editing which is to be done very carefully. If not done with care it can lead to system instability

6. Go to start->run->type 'regedit' and press enter

7. Now navigate to the following key and del the string named antivirus as shown in the picture.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

8. Now navigate to the following key and del the key as shown in the picture.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\VAV

9. Now navigate to the following key and del the string named antivirus as shown in the picture.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run


10 Now if your themes, appearance and settings are missing you can download small tool from here

Now your system is clean from this Scam Antivirus.
If you have any queries post it in the comments section or click the contact me pic above

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the detailed instructions. Do you have any idea how to get our money back?

THE ONE said...

@anonymous try contacting your credit card company. Explain them the actual problem and if that doesnot work try reporting with the police.

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting these instructions that allowed me to remove this annoying thing. They are right on correct!! Thanks again!!
What a relief to have my PC back!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you!!! I wish I hadn't been dumb enough to put in my credit card but this one was pretty convincing. I thought I knew better than to get duped over the internet. Hopefully my bank will reverse the charges.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the step by step. However, I keep getting a file called Win32/FakeAlert.V that is being found in a file called ISecurity.cpl. I searched for the file in my WIn32 folder (where the AV software said it was) and could not find it anywhere. Any ideas? I am assuming that the ISecurity stuff is the same..

Anonymous said...

Does this do anything else, like steal passwords and other web form information?

Anonymous said...

I cannot even get my task manager to popup for these steps. Help!

Anonymous said...

Good Shit. Exactly, right on the behavior

Anonymous said...

Steps 1-5 got rid of the problem. I did not find the strings in the later steps in the registry, perhaps because several hours ago I deleted all files I could find that had "VAV" in the name except "cpl", and I did not try to order the product. Except for the annoying popup windows, I have experienced no other problems yet. Many, many thanks for ytour help.

THE ONE said...

@Jimmy
Go to xp-solutions.blogspot.com and download the tool to re-enable task manager.

If that also doesn't work(in rare cases), then download a third party task manager like security task manager.
Search google for the link to its website.

Hope it helps

Anonymous said...

Ok, I have the virus (still not sure how I got it though). The problem is that I am unable to access my task manager to stop the tasks. I keep getting an error saying the administrator has been disabled by the administrator. Is there another way to get started in this process?

Anonymous said...

Worked 100%